Sunday, January 29, 2012

Saturday scoop


Yesterday was a total whirlwind, but so much fun.  If you don't know by now, I find crazy pleasure in being very busy and having at least 20 things on my daily to-do list besides regular work stuff.

Yesterday was no exception.  It started with setting the table for my dinner party of eight, and then going to Paula's baby shower for the twins.  We munched on all of her current cravings including mini burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, and chips.  I took a huge wicker basket and filled it with items on and off her registry -- organic swaddles, travel dishware sets, pacifiers, baby hangers, books, ceramic elephant bookends (her nursery is also kind of a global theme) -- and wrapped it all up in a huge piece of cellophane and a bow with a a tag that said, "Looking forward to our first play date! Love, Landry."  She loved the gift (and the groovy bookends so much she said they might not land in the nursery)!

Afterwards, I hit the grocery store to tackle my dinner party wish list.  Last week I designed the menu, which was "French Bistro" themed.  I ended up selecting the following:

Welcoming appetizer: Stuffed olives, nuts and baked brie topped with dried fruit
Starter: Mini croque monsieur sandwiches and cup of French onion soup
Entree: Chicken Provencal with nicoise olives, diced tomatoes and capers
Dessert: French vanilla ice cream topped with fresh berries and brownie crumbles

I have to admit, I was a little worried about the chicken dish as I had never made it before but I decided to give it a whirl.  Luckily, I'm an old pro at the croque monsieur and soup so if all else failed I knew that portion would be tasty.  I prepped everything before our guests arrived so we could enjoy their company.

We invited over a fun mix of a group.  A couple months ago at Tracy's going away party I was introduced to a really neat girl named Joslyn.  We had so much in common it was crazy: she's a writer, from California, the list goes on...  We really hit it off and made a coffee date soon their after, which led to me inviting her over for dinner so our husbands could meet.  In addition, I invited Tracy and Van and our home builders, Chad and Kurt, since Kurt used to work for Neiman's (Tracy now works there) and they could chat with Joslyn about our home since she wants to write about it in one of her first issues with D Home Magazine (she just took the style editor post).

The group mingled beautifully and it was a great mix with conversation spanning from behind-the-scenes Neiman's scoop (did you know the store's average return rate is something like 36 percent?!) to the dramas of renovating our house and Michael's business, which always takes a long explanation.

Just as important, the food -- and chicken dish -- turned out perfectly!  I will definitely add it to my arsenal of regulars when the baby arrives.

After such a long day on my feet, I crashed when the last guest left and last dish was washed around 12:30 a.m.  Slept in this morning and am now going to get ready for a major laid back day filled with brunch (not made by me!) and a couple's massage and maybe even a movie.

Happy Sunday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment