Thursday, January 26, 2012

The eight month itch






You can take that headline two ways, and both would be correct.  I'm started to get more and more excited for Landry to be resting on my belly, not just in it.

But the past couple of days I've been getting so itchy!  I read that this is completely normal and of no harm to me and baby but it is so annoying.  Sites say that my growing belly is the cause and its just my skin stretching (other reasons can be heat and too-tight of clothes, but I don't think those pertain to me at this time).

I read that keeping my skin moist (which I do all of the time) could help so sweet Michael rubbed palmful of my belly oil all over my tummy when he got home tonight to help give me some relief.  The Web says that the itchiness can spread all over; luckily, mine is just on my tummy and not too bad.  Hoping this goes away very soon because a scratchy, big-bellied lady is not the look I'm going for these days.

Otherwise, I feel really good and truly can't complain other than normal eight month preggo discomfort (and mine are nominal, at that).  This morning I dragged my booty to the gym and weighed myself to find that I've lost three pounds since last Friday.  Granted, I think my weigh-in last week was off because it was right after lunch and the night before I had one of the biggest meals in my life.

But, I was still surprised given how much I've been eating lately.  I told my mom today on the phone that I can't believe how hungry I can get some days.  Many days are normal with me eating more than my pre-preggo days, but nothing crazy like some women claim.  But, then there are days that I feel like I'm eating for an entire frat house -- and the one next door.

Clearly my body is telling me it wants the food if I haven't gained any weight this week.  I'll be sure to check in with my doctor next Friday at my next appointment to make sure I'm gaining enough weight.  If I'm ordered to pack on some pounds my first stop post-appointment will surely be Braum's for a gallon of mint chocolate chip ice cream.  I've had so much this pregnancy it will be interesting to see if Landry loves or hates the flavor.

Speaking of foods, I've really had no aversions my entire pregnancy.  I actually eat really well-rounded meals and food groups and just about anything sounds good.  I've made a major effort to eat a lot more fruits and veggies and hope Landry comes out craving them.  I've read that introducing the baby while in the belly to as many food groups, flavors, spices, etc. is the best recipe for a good eater.  I'm hoping that's true because I've been diligent to really eat a colorful, wide range of bites.

Yesterday her car seat arrived and is cuter than I expected for the images online.  I ended up getting her a Graco SnugRide style (named Pasadena, ironically) because there's an adapter that let's it work inside the Bugaboo stroller for days I want to transfer her straight from the car to the stroller (if she's sleeping, for example).  I picked a gender neutral seat for practicality but it has some fun colors that match perfectly with the Missoni pattern.

Speaking of Missoni, I had to swap my gift for a different style to fit the stroller I wanted.  When the new  style arrived in the mail last week, one of the three components -- the canopy, the biggest feature of the three -- was missing.  Today I finally got word from Neiman's that they tracked one down in the Italian manufacturing plant of all places and are shipping it to me.  So, Landry literally has the last canopy of this style in the world until the new production starts in March, says Neimans.

I haven't seen one yet in Dallas.  My mom and I spotted Kate Hudson's baby in one in New York while vacationing there last fall, but it's the only one I've seen in person.  Rachel Zoe has made it quite popular (that's her in the photo above), but those that know me know I've been mad for Missoni for nearly a decade now and would have bought this ticket item regardless of the press.

Michael and I have a wonderful weekend planned; excited to spend some time with him after nearly a week of him being out of town and passing in the night while one of his best buddies Ben in town.  Tomorrow night we are going to dinner at a new restaurant courtesy of a publicist so I can write about it in DailyCandy.  Saturday I have Paula's baby shower, tickets to a local home tour, and a dinner party at the house for eight (will be sure to post pix).  I created a really fun French bistro theme for my dinner and can't wait to put the menu together.  Sunday we are going to lay low with brunch and a couple's massage (probably my last prenatal massage).  We are also going to purchase materials for the back apartment's guest bath, which gets going next week.

Hope everyone has a fun weekend, too!  Also, above is a photo of me and Hayden from last weekend's Cupcake Wars competition.  I will have pix of our display soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment