Friday, December 23, 2011

Jail house shock




So, Thanksgiving weekend (the weekend before my crazy-busy flea market, mind you), I carved out some time for a photo shoot of Michael, me, and the baby bump.  I picked that weekend because it was the only free weekend before I left for California and I wanted the bump to be as big as possible versus shooting earlier in November.

The plan was to take a series of professional photos of us to frame for Christmas gifts for our family.  I spent days on this project between scheduling my dear friend Evans to shoot, Jon to pull clothes and style the shots, a hair appointment with our hair stylist Ryan to have my tresses professionally coiffed, etc.

With everything set to go that Sunday morning, I woke up, showered, packed a suitcase with shoes and accessories for styling, and headed to my hair appointment where Michael was set to meet me and the crew at the salon with our preferred Starbucks (yes, this mama still drinks a little caffeine).

Ryan was just finishing rolling my hair in curlers when we were all starting to wonder where Michael was, and more importantly our hot, fill-in-the-blank, lattes.  On cue, Michael calls my cell phone.  I figure he's dialing to go over the requests one last time (Michael doesn't drink coffee so the Starbucks menu could be in Spanish for all he knows).

But no.  Oh, no, no, no.  My hubby wasn't calling to rattle off our drink menu.  He was calling to see if I could pick up his car because he was being chauffeured to jail.  Yes, JAIL.  

To say I thought he was joking is an understatement.  Michael has a very dry sense of humor but he's especially sassy in the morning.  So, I thought he was trying to scare me before he walked in with my warm, tall, skinny, latte.  

But no.  Oh, no, no, no.  Michael was being arrested by a Highland Park cop in front of Toulouse (our favorite schmancy French brunch bistro) because he had a warrant out for his arrest that he was oblivious about for a past speeding ticket that never got paid due to our change of address when we moved last spring.

Needless to say, I wasn't in a position to drop everything and pick up his deserted Lexus.  So, he called his parents (I can only imagine how mortified he was making that call) to bail him out -- literally.  Three hours and $1,500 or so later, Michael finally arrived at the shoot for his real mug shot.

Not only was I bummed that he missed most of the shoot, but I was so sad his parents found out about our Christmas gift surprise since Michael had to explain why I couldn't pick him up (and the large rack of clothes in the back seat of his car).

Because it was late in the day and light was no longer on our side, he only made one photo.  So, Landry and I stole the spotlight and had a series of shots surrounded by pretty autumn scenes around Dallas.

I look forward to the day when I can tell her the story behind those baby bump photos.  Michael will have a lot of explaining to do!  

No comments:

Post a Comment