Like my home and wardrobe, I have been thrifty on most of the baby and nursery purchases with the exception of a few, special splurges. For Landry, those pricy ticket items include her custom canopy, stroller, and diaper bag.
A diaper bag wasn't necessarily going to be on that list. I knew I didn't want a traditional one. I wanted something unique that could double as her diaper bag and my handbag. I figured I would find a large tote or handbag and transform it into a diaper bag with a few tweaks and custom additions (I even combed my closet looking for an old shoulder bag to transform). Every time I walked into a Target, Marshalls, etc., I searched the handbag department high and low for a unique, large, wipable bag. Nothing.
Alas, Thursday my mom and I were at South Coast Plaza buying up The Gap maternity sale section (l-o-v-e their super-soft long sleeve tees). On the way out of the mall, I wanted to take a peek inside Chanel. And, there it was: the Chanel Paris Biarritz tote bag.
I knew the minute I laid eyes on her that she was The One. Normally Chanel bags are super delicate and uber expensive. But this bag was waterproof, had two side pouches perfect for bottles, and tons of room inside for diapers, baby loot, and my handbag essentials. And, it was half the price of most of the other entry level bags.
Granted, this bag is silly-expensive for dirty diapers and formula spills. But, her crib is from Wal-Mart, bedroom rug was recycled from storage, changing table was an old antique piece I had around the house, and most clothes are $10 or less from various sale racks around town.
Plus, I will have this bag forever. And hopefully one day, I will pass it down to Landry on a special occassion or birthday and tell her the story about her first Chanel. That makes it worth every penny in my (pocket) book.


No comments:
Post a Comment