Monday, November 14, 2011

22 weeks!




Hello, five and a half months!

Week 22 has a lot to live up to after last. My birthday fun didn't end with Tuesday's festivities. My friend Ariana took me to dinner last week and then Friday was a double whammy: My friends Kim and Kari took me to lunch and then I co-celebrated my birthday with Paula with dinner at new restaurant Bistro 31 along with our hubbies and best friend Jon.

Jon gave us the most luxurious belly oil. I've been oiling up every morning and night but this one he gave us (it's by Santa Maria Novella) is beyond lovely and makes me feel so fancy before going to bed each night.

To round off the birthday celebration Michael and I had a massage yesterday. We had the therapist come to the house. It was the perfect way to end the week.

I got a lot done for the nursery this weekend in between parties and fun. I finally finished spray painting Landry's bamboo bookshelf which I found years ago at the Fort Worth Flea. I had been waiting to find it the perfect home and it looks darling in her nursery. I started to accessorize it a little bit but will wait to complete it after my baby showers.

I started her book collection this weekend, too. I found some classic favorites that I can't wait to read to her. I also ordered her a giant stuffed giraffe to go next to the crib and took some fabric to my upholsterer to have some custom changing table pad covers made from the same material as her bedskirt (it's a really cool graphic gray and white pattern).

The big project this weekend, though, was making a template for a custom mural I'm making from wallpaper for one wall in her nursery. I have been lusting over this one British company's cool safari animal wall decals made from vintage-inspired wallpaper. I would buy one but they are all too big for the wall space I have to work with. So, I took matters into my own hands and created a custom design from butcher paper.

I have it taped to the wall right now to make sure I love my design (think a whimsical tree trunk, branches, leaves, monkey, love bird). It's really cute and I love the fact that it's handmade and my little gift to her. I have some left over ikat wallpaper from my dining room I plan to use for the design once I muster the strength to finish. I never wanted a theme in the nursery but have decided that if there's a unifying aspect to everything it's "global-inspired."

A couple weeks ago I found a beautiful antique Murano glass lamp for her changing table. I finally found the perfect shade and it looks so glam in her room. I made a little pact with myself that anything I buy for her nursery that isn't a necessity (lamp, bookshelf, accessories, Moroccan pouf-cum-ottoman), would be able to grow with her when she graduates into a big girl's room. This lamp is so gorgeous she should want it until she's old and gray (and if not, her mama will gladly take it off her hands).

Although the pact is partly just my budget-savvy way, it's also to keep me from falling into the junk pitfalls that come with having a baby. It's crazy to me all of the toys, gimmicks, etc. they sell for infants that will never even remember such a thing. I'm trying to keep the toys at bay during the baby stage and the decor simple, meaningful, and purposeful.

I'm really happy with the way things are starting to turn out in her room. So is our kitty Phoebe! Every time I walk into the nursery Phoebe is perched on the rocker or laying on the cozy shag rug. Tonight when Michael took my 22 week photo she was hugging the pouf (pic attached). We are convinced she knows something is going on. It's amazing how in tune animals are.

- - - - - -

Last Thursday I had a doctor's appointment. They listened to Landry's heartbeat and she has a perfect pitter patter. They also took my weight, which I have to say surprised me at only 14 pounds more than pre-baby. I was shocked, really, given that Halloween and my birthday were just before and I had my share of treats.

They said I should start feeling her kick soon. For the past two weeks I've started feeling her move around but not a definite kick. It's such a strange feeling but I love it at the same time.

Last night I really felt her when Michael turned on our music system really loud to play this new Chris Brown song he loves (yes, he loves cheesy pop songs). Anyway, I swear she was dancing in my belly. It was so crazy but as he turned up the music (he was getting a kick out of the whole thing, too) she was moving more and more. When he turned it off, she stopped. I'm not sure if she's a pop music fan or was trying to swim away from it! Hopefully she'll have my taste in music, not his!

No comments:

Post a Comment