Thursday, January 23, 2014

Meet Barrett Steven!

My first snuggle with Barrett in the operating room

Happy daddy

The munchkin sleeping post feeding in the hospital

Our nanny Cristina and her daughter
meeting Barrett for the first time

My mom sent photos of Landry all week while I was in the hospital.
This is one of my favorites when they were playing around in the sun room.

A peek at some flowers from my hospital room

Thanks for the gorgeous flowers, Robin!

Can't stop kissing this sweet pea

Landry leaving the hospital with Mimi after visiting her little brother

Doesn't get much sweeter than this chubby cheek cherub

Bringing the babe home!

Uncle B meeting Barrett

Lunch with Aunt Robin, who visited us from California

Snuggles with Mimi at home

Barrett Steven Cobb finally joined the Cobb crew last Tuesday!

Delivery went perfectly.  At 7:40 a.m. we welcomed our little prince to the world.  My doctor had estimated him to weigh between six and seven pounds but he rounded out at a very healthy 8.9 pounds and measured 20 and a quarter inches long.  

From the minute we met him he's been the most chill baby.  His disposition is so sweet and he hasn't hardly cried a peep in a week!  By night two he was sleeping through the night and we had to wake him to feed.  I was preparing for the worst, but boy we've been lucky so far!

I'm thrilled to say that I'm breastfeeding the little guy.  Landry didn't latch and I had to resort to pumping for months.  But Barrett is a breastfeeding pro!  By day two my milk came in and he's been an eating machine ever since.  It is so nice to eliminate pumping and all the wasted time and mess it creates.

We don't think he resembles either of us exactly.  His eyes seem to be Edwards eyes, just like Landry.  His mouth also seems more Edwards, than Cobb.  But he definitely has Michael's shape head.  Time will tell who the little guy will look like if either of us at all...

My hospital stay was interesting.  I became allergic to the epideral the first night and had terrible itching from head to toe.  My doctor had it removed first thing the next morning and I was on pain pills for the remainder of my stay and felt 100-percent better.

Several family and friends visited over the four days.  All of you that sent flowers, cookies and gifts -- thank you so much!  They made my day and the room so beautiful and fragrant.  And thank you for the meals and gifts since coming home, they are all so cherished and appreciated.

I was really anxious to see Landry's reaction to Barrett the first day.  She was so sweet and cooed "baby baby" as soon as she arrived in the room.  Since being home she's really adjusted well.  Each morning she knocks on our door to see the baby and then goes on with her regular 22-month old business (puzzles, dolls, mini computer).

For the last month, we've been an open hotel for family and close friends.  It's been so nice to have the extra hands to help with Landry, housework and meals.  My mom has been especially helpful and we are going to miss her help terribly, especially with entertaining Landry!  She's been everywhere from Build-A-Bear and patio lunches to the Bush Library and park.  Landry's been spoiled big time!

My parents are in town for a few more days and we are cherishing every minute we can.  Yesterday we took Barrett on his first adventure into the real world with a coffee on the patio at Starbucks and then a short stroll down an outdoor trail and park playtime for Landry.

Today while Landry was at mommy's-day-out, my parents and I took Barrett to a leisurely Mexican lunch and then for coffee and dessert and my favorite cafe down the street from our house.  Tomorrow we're letting Landry play hookie from school for a fun day in Fort Worth.

This weekend we have Barrett's newborn photos and plan to take some family pics, too.  My friend Jaclyn is shooting them and we'll make a fun afternoon of the event.

It's hard to believe Barrett is already more than a week old.  He's the sweetest little guy -- so, so easy. I don't know if he has his daddy's laid back temperament or is just fooling us in these first few weeks.

He's already nearly out of newborn clothes and we can hardly fasten his newborn diapers any longer.  He's a big boy!  He doesn't have chubby rolls, but he's very solid and strong.  I think this baby is going to be a very different experience than Landry who has always been very feminine, a late bloomer and a busy-body.

I'm currently on maternity leave, just working a bit here and there via email.  I plan to start back slowly next week and see how it goes from there.  With breastfeeding going so well I will really stay close to home for the first bit so I'm nearby for mealtime.

I'm feeling really good post-hospital.  I'm off pain pills for my c-section and moving around really well.  I've happily lost 15 pounds -- I have another 15 or so to go.  I'm not in any rush, I just want to get back into my pre-pregnancy jeans so I can shed the stretch pants!

Life at home has been completely blissful.  I'm enjoying the time off and quality family time.  I know this slice of life is so rare -- from the newborn baby stage to large amount of family in town -- and am really trying to soak up every minute.  Counting my blessings for my beautiful family and friends!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment