Monday, February 4, 2013

Bye, bye baby stage

Rocking her new PJ's.  No more footies at this size :(



Last week Landry transformed from baby to little girl.

It started with our Babies 'R Us raid.  We needed to get her a new car seat because her string bean legs were completely dangling over the edge (sometimes she'd even push against the seat while in the car and try to rock back). So, we bid adieu to her baby car seat for the big boy that fits up to a six year old or something.

Then, we decided to hit the clothing department for some new jammies because her 12 month styles were getting a little snug.  The only option was 18 month old jammies, so we snagged a few thinking she'd have to work her way into them in the next few months but at least her legs could stretch straight. Oh, no.  They fit her just right.  Eighteen month old jammies are this ten month old's size.  Geez!

Then, there's school (or mommy's day out as it's known for the 18-24 month old set).  A few weeks ago Paula told me that we really needed to start thinking about school programs for the fall because several had started the enrollment process.  Thank goodness I have Paula because I have no clue about these things.  I think a program a couple days a week will be good for Landry so she gets to socialize with other kids and get out of the house.

We divided the research (there are several dozen options in a ten mile radius alone!).  She found one school and was really excited about it until learning tuition was a minimum of $13,000 a year per child (remember she has twins).

So, I started surfing the Internet stat figuring there had to be other options.  I found this cute day school in the Park Cities that sounded nice.  It has art class for the kids and provides snacks.  And, it goes from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (however many days a week you choose to send your child) so you can get a full day's work in instead of several other programs that only go from nine to noon or so.  Just as important, the tuition is a fraction of the cost of most schools and there are only up to ten kids per "class."

So Thursday Paula and I visited the school to check things out.  First positive sign: I saw my dear friend's two-year old daughter playing politely in one of the rooms.  (I called her immediately after and got glowing reviews).  We liked the owner and loved the 18-month old teacher.  The facility was clean and cute and had a pretty swanky outdoor play area.  We lingered for nearly an hour and even sat in on the class our kiddos would be in in the fall.  We were both so excited to think how far our babies will come in the next six months (walking, saying words, coordinating letters and objects, giving hugs).

We walked away feeling really good about the option and swore to do more research before deciding.  However, this weekend Michael and I had dinner with Paula and her husband and I told her I think I'm done looking and going with the school.  She said she thought it through and decided the same.  We both realized we really liked the option, got great feedback from friends, and don't want to get more confused.  So, I signed Landry up today and the three amigos will be in the same class starting in September.  We're thrilled!

But to my point, this has been a huge week!  New car seat, check.  New school, check.  And then...

Landry got her first tooth!  Saturday I was sitting in the back seat of the car with her while Michael and my brother were up front.  She was nibbling on my finger until she bit down hard and it hurt like heck.  I opened her little mouth and sure enough, there was a tiny little white spot on her bottom gum.  Her bottom, middle, right tooth broke surface and is on it's way in.

There were no signs!  Yes, she's been very drooly but she's been that way since 12 weeks.  She didn't cry, didn't wake up in the middle of the night, nada.  We are so lucky because I've heard this time can be very tough.  Hopefully when the others arrive it will go just as smoothly.

In addition to all of these major changes in our sweet girl, she's learned to maneuver out of the Bumbo, flip a book page while I read to her, and say mama.  Her hair is really starting to grow and flip at the ends (she even has little blond curls that wrap around her ears when it gets a little messy).  She's getting really squirmy (trying to change her diaper is now a major workout) and can get on all fours but doesn't crawl.  She is still a giggle machine and eating more and more big girl foods.  Avocados are her absolute favorite.  She ate a whole one yesterday while we prepared appetizers for the Super Bowl.

She's covered as many achievements and milestones in one week as she did in ten months!

No comments:

Post a Comment