Friday, March 9, 2012

The last supper

This week has been a little surreal prepping for Landry's arrival.  I took off from Farrow & Cobb to run around town for everything from announcement materials (decided to make these myself, which now I'm kind of regretting due to the time involved) to making dates with friends.

On Tuesday I had lunch with Paula.  While stuffing our faces with cheeseburgers, chicken fried steak and cheese fries we chatted about all the chores ahead pre-babies.  As luck would have it, her water broke at 1 a.m. that night while her husband was out of town on business in New York.

I'm happy to announce that she and the babies are doing great.  I'm just as thrilled to say that she had a boy and a girl!  So Landry and baby Gabriella (the little man is Charlie) are going to be the best of friends no doubt just a mere five days apart.

Since the babies were born at 34 weeks, they will have to stay at the hospital for a while so Paula will be there when I deliver on Monday.  So crazy how things work out sometimes!

This morning I had my final doctor's visit.  With a simple touch of the belly, she concluded Landry is still breech as can be.  (If you touch the upper right side of my tummy, you can totally feel her round, hard head.)

Michael and I went over a little list of questions we had for Dr. Hagood.  She went over the drill for Monday and I feel really good about things other than not being able to eat for eight hours prior to surgery (especially after seeing what Paula got for lunch today).  Michael will definitely be bringing me meals to the hospital with the looks of that yucky turkey plate and weird jiggly cheesecake thingy.

If everything goes according to schedule, Landry will be born around 1:30 p.m. Monday and I will be in my recovery room by 4 p.m. or so.  Since I'm having a c-section, I have to stay about four nights so I will likely be discharged Friday morning or afternoon.  I was surprised to find out, if all goes well with delivery/baby, that Landry will be in our room for 23 hours a day.  A lot of my friends said their little ones were in the nursery at night, but my doctor says that she will be with us around the clock.  Needless to say, I'm going to try to rest and lay low as much as possible this weekend to store up energy.

Tomorrow my mom arrives, which I'm really excited about.  I think picking her up from the airport will make everything feel really real.  My dad is coming out ten days from Landry's birthday because my parents happened to sell their house and the big move-out date happens to fall on the weekend after I'm released from the hospital.  But I actually think the timing works out nicely so he can meet Landry when she's a week or so old and enjoy us in the comfort of our house, which he hasn't seen since May a couple of weeks after we moved in.

As my parents say goodbye to our childhood home, the one they built from scratch, a new chapter unfolds with Landry's arrival.  I think it will be a great distraction for them (my mom's a little emotional about it at the moment).  Plus, their move down to the beach will be great fun for Landry to spend summers with Mimi and Papa in California.  I'm a little sad about the house, too, but am thrilled for my parent's new adventures.  Plus, selfishly, Michael and I are thrilled about the new coastal location and our fun visits with the bean ahead!

Tonight is "the last supper" for Michael and me alone pre-baby.  I asked my doctor if I could indulge in some sushi (I haven't had any raw fish all pregnancy due to the risk of illness to me or baby) and she gave me the green light.  I'm looking forward to my first rainbow roll in 11 months or so and this special time with my hubby and one of our favorite restaurants.  It's going to be strange knowing this is the last meal between just the two of us without our daughter in our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment