Michael and I are thrilled to announce that Landry held out for her scheduled date and was born at 1:37 p.m. on Monday, March 12th. She weighed seven pounds eight ounces and measured 18 and 3/4 inches long. Most importantly she is a healthy little peanut (and very, very cute)!
My mom arrived last weekend and we did a few things to prep from last minute items from Target to a much-needed pedicure.
I was surprised that I slept really well Sunday night and was calm as a cucumber all morning Monday. I find that during some of the biggest moments of my life (my wedding, for example), I am the most at peace and small things like deadlines and a door hinge that needs some WD40 can make me bananas.
I woke up, took a shower and gave myself a good blow out for the ensuing five days of no washing my hair. I put on a pretty dress and off we went to the hospital.
It was surreal how planned out (and perfectly so) the process was. I had pre-registered so I simply filled out some small paperwork and then they wheeled me into a room to prep for surgery. My mom and Michael were with me at this early stage as they measured Landry's heartbeat and gave me an epidural to start numbing my body from the waist down.
After the pain meds started kicking in, my mom left and Michael got into his scrubs. We sat together for about 20 minutes before they wheeled me into the surgery room for the birth. The process, once in that room, truly took only about 30 minutes. I felt a lot of pressure -- tugging, pulling, pushing -- but no severe pain. I had a hot spot (a place that doesn't really take to the pain meds) that bothered me quite a bit on my right side near my hip, but no overwhelming pain.
Within what seemed like just minutes from starting, I heard Landry cry for the first time. It was truly surreal. I couldn't see her due to the curtain around my tummy as they weighed her and wiped her clean.
Afterwards, they placed her on my chest and life changed at that very instant. Michael was sitting by my side holding my hand and we just stared in awe at her. I was very emotional looking into her sweet, tiny face. She was completely calm, didn't make a single peep. She just gazed back with the cutest look on her face.
From there, they wheeled me back into the first prep room and we had some family time with just Michael and me. Then, we let in the grandparents to gawk and love on the little bean. Soon there after I was wheeled into my suite where I stayed for the next four night and five days. They gave Landry a bath, did a small round of tests, and then she was with us for most of the remaining five days with the exception of a weigh-in here, blood test there.
The stay was a little rough at first as I was in a lot of pain and even a small walk to the shower put me in tears. The no sleep thing and constant onslaught of nurses in the room to take my blood pressure, temperature, admin drugs, etc. was also very draining. But all in all, the stay was nice because I got to learn how to breast feed from the professionals, keep off my feet, and enjoy some quality time with Michael and Landry. To all of you that sent the beautiful flowers, delicious treats, and paid us a visit -- thank you! You made our stay truly special.
While there, we did have a little drama (not surprising, given this pregnancy) with jaundice. Landry's levels were a little alarmingly high so by day two they put her in a warming blanket on a tanning bed type of contraption to break down her high red blood cell count. It was really funny to watch her little breech legs free inside the blanket pulled up by her hips like a little frog. But by day five, her levels were much lower and we were able to finally go home.
The past few days at home have been truly wonderful. Although sleep is simply something of the past, I am enjoying life with this little miracle more than I could have ever imagined. She is sooooooooo good. She truly has her daddy's temperament. I can honestly say she has probably cried about an hour total since she's been home for the past three days.
She is already making so many expressions, smiling, and sleeping like a champ (when not hungry). She's just a pleasure and we are all enjoying her so very much and already can't imagine our lives before she was here.
We've really enjoyed our time at home having a home-cooked Sunday brunch with mimosas, wine out on the terrace, pizza night (with my dear childhood friend Samantha who happens to be in town) in the cabana, a lemon drop toast while snuggly up on the sofa. Let me just say, that lemon drop didn't last long. How I missed my favorite cocktail!
My body is really recovering well. I've already taken Landry on two walks in her stroller around the neighborhood and have successfully been able to walk up and down the stairs and do some small house stuff without feeling pain.
Michael has morphed into his new dad role really quickly and well. He's wonderful at helping out with anything and has really taken to feeding her (I am producing so much milk we sometimes use a bottle) and burping duty. Mimi, well, she's simply obsessed. She is getting tons of quality time with Landry and loving every minute (even the yellow poopy
This week, we already have a list of visitors and friends bringing by dinners. Thursday my dad arrives and Friday Ryan will be here. This quality time with family and friends is beyond blissful. I'm loving every minute and just so grateful for my life and this new little miracle in it.





No comments:
Post a Comment